Reverse 1031 Exchange May Be Option for San Diego Real Estate Investors

A slower San Diego real estate market is creating more of a demand for reverse 1031 exchanges. Properties are taking longer to sell making it difficult for sellers to adhere to 1031 exchange 180 day rules. But there is another option called a Reverse 1031 Exchange allowing for the roll-over of proceeds after closing on another property. Inman had a great article by Ilyce Glink addressing reverse exchanges. Read what she has to say:

Q: We are Canadian citizens who have owned a home in Fort Myers, Fla., for four years. There is no mortgage on the property.

We have put the property up for sale, and have made a down payment on a new house. We have bought and sold in the past, and I understand that as long as the new house is equal or higher in value, there are no capital gains taxes owed on the profits under IRS tax code 1031.

What happens if we have to close on the new house and the existing one has not sold yet? When it does sell, will we be able to use the proceeds of the sale to pay off the new mortgage with no penalty?

A: A 1031 tax-free exchange is used when a real estate investor sells a piece of property and purchases a replacement property that costs at least that much or more. The exchange must happen within a specified period of time. You have 45 days to identify the property and 180 days in which to close.

Many real estate investors are finding that the slow real estate market makes it tough to adhere to the deadlines. What can you do? You can set up a reverse exchange, in which you purchase the new property first and then sell the existing property afterward.

A qualified 1031 exchange company should be able to handle a reverse exchange. But be prepared, as reverse exchanges cost significantly more than a regular 1031 exchange. You should also hire a real estate attorney to make sure you're doing it correctly and meeting all of the necessary deadlines.

A 1031 tax-free exchange cannot be used on personal property, so be sure that you are not using the property more than the time allotted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your 1031 exchange company should be able to advise you.

Have questions about a reverse 1031 exchange?