If you are moving to a San Diego home, you can, with prior planning and these tips, make your move a smooth, less stressful experience. After you have gathered recommendations from friends and checked out moving companies on the web, you should narrow your choices to three or four. At this point you can avoid moving mistakes by using these guidelines to make informed, intelligent choices.
1. Insist on an in-home survey and estimate. Movers have to actually see what needs to be moved and be aware of items requiring special attention, such as pianos or valued art pieces. In addition, by meeting the mover's representative in person, you can get a feel for the way customers are treated by the company. It is also important that you disclose at this time any details, such as elevator availability, street restrictions, etc., to avoid unpleasant surprises on moving day.
2. Beware of too low a price. While price is certainly a major consideration in making your selection, you need to question a low-ball estimate, Are there hidden charges? Is the firm reliable? Does it value your business? Is it a licensed, insured mover? Check the web at protectyourmove.com for this information and for a record of customer complaints.
3. Avoid the busy season.Good moving companies are especially busy in the summer and in the first and fourth weeks of the month. Plan ahead and reserve early to get the mover and time frame you want. Remember that the best deals can usually be found in the winter and in the second and third weeks of the month.
4. Sign a contract. Do not begin a move without first signing a binding agreement which spells out all the services you are to receive and the total amount you'll be expected to pay. Do you have insurance options? What is the charge for that? If you're not comfortable with the document, trust your instinct and don't sign!
5. Have a budget. Be informed and realistic about your overall moving costs. Be sure to include travel to your San Diego home, any hotel and meals expenses, auto transport, and insurance.
6. Do unto others… Your movers will respond well to smiles and a positive attitude. They also appreciate offers of coffee, water, soft drinks, and tips for quality service.
San Diego has many reputable and reliable moving companies who want your business and will work with you to make your moving experience as stress-free as possible. By following these six steps, your relocation to your new San Diego home can actually be rewarding!