Every spring, the City of Carlsbad becomes a little bit more colorful thanks to the 50-acre Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch. An annual tradition for over sixty years, the Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch attracts more than 100,000 visitors between March 1st and May 10th.
Comprised primarily of yellow, white, red, and pink-flowering giant ranunculuses, guests at the Flower Fields find themselves immersed in an aesthetic wonderland, with rows of vibrant colors perfectly complementing the site's striking views of the Pacific Ocean. In addition to the acres of giant ranunculuses, visitors are also able to enjoy a 300-by-170-foot American Flag made out of red, white, and blue petunias, the Armstrong Garden Center's cymbidium orchid greenhouse, and 1,500 square feet of famed Ecke poinsettias.
This year, visitors to the Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch will have the opportunity to take part in a number of different events over the next couple of months, including:
- Sunday, March 29th – Kid's Day 2015
- Saturday, April 4th – Jake Taylor Smith
- Sunday, April 5th – Zydeco Day
- Saturday, April 11th – Bluegrass Day
- Sunday, April 12th – Stoney B. Blues Band
- Saturday, April 18th – Box Canyon Band
- Sunday, April 19th – Michele Lundeen
- Sunday, April 19th – Canon Photography Workshop
- Sunday, April 26th – Blues Day
- Sunday, April 26th – Red Hat Ladies' Day and Style Show
- Saturday, May 9th & Sunday, May 10th – Bonsai Show and Sale
- Sunday, May 10th – Mother's Day Celebration
The origins of the Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch date back to the 1920's, when early local settlers Luther Gage and Frank Frazee joined together to start ‘Luther Gage Giant Tecolote Ranunculus Bulbs'. Over the following decades, the Frazee family – helmed by Frank's son Edwin – would go on to become one of the world's most famous producers of ranunculus bulbs.
The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch are open to visitors daily from 9:00am until 6:00pm until May 10th. Daily admission is $12 for adults, $11 for seniors, and $6 for children between the ages of 3 and 10. Seasonal passes are $25, $20, and $14, respectively. There are also wagon rides available at a price of $5 per adult, and $3 per child aged 3 to 10.
For more information about the Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch, this year's lineup of events, or to purchase tickets, you can visit their website at theflowerfields.com, or reach them on the phone at (760) 431-0352.